Sunday, October 2, 2011

Saturday, October 1st 2011 - The Music of Erich Zann

The Music of Erich Zann by H.P. Lovecraft
Published March 1922
Illustration by Nelson R. Morris

Category: Macabre

The first thing our narrator tells us is that he can no longer find the street on which he once lived while in college. It has a name but he is unable, after tireless research and inquiries, to find the street or the house he stayed in. Through half-remembered details he tells us of his time there, living across the hall from an elderly, mute musician by the name of Erich Zann.

Lovecraft very often will deny us names and locations. A narrator will not tell us his name (it's always a man) and he will sometimes find himself in a town or neighborhood that he does not name. This serves to do at least two things to the reader. One, we are not distracted with the facts and details that are after all not nearly as important as the movement of the story. We cannot stop for a moment and say "Ah ha! I have been to Providence and there is no Angell Street!" And two it establishes a sense of mystery and anonymity that sets the story in our minds - we fill in the details, and set it in the house we stayed in Maine, summer, 1984.

Erich Zann plays his viol - a sort of viola or cello - deep into the night, making music that is strange and haunting. Our narrator befriends the old man who seems paranoid and filled with a mysterious dread. It seems that, outside the window of Erich Zann's humble apartment, there is something. Something that frightens the old man and fascinates our young narrator. Something that listens to the music, that perhaps needs the music.

One of my favorite parts of this story and many of Lovecraft's stories are the details left out, the beast behind the curtain, or the maker of the odd footsteps outside a door - things we never see. I love details, don't get me wrong, but for these weird tales I love that which is left unseen even more.

~~

I read this story through the Anthology of Weird Fiction iPhone App - a simple little collection of what most be close to 100 stories by Lovecraft, Machen, Blackwood and others. I believe I paid $1 for it but it is very possible to find these same stories, and tons more, for free through Stanza (more on that app later in the month!) http://itun.es/iBm7Vg







6 comments:

  1. Maybe my favorite non-mythos story by Lovecraft. A minor (but important) correction to your comment about the narrator always being a man- I believe Cool Air has a female narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I think there is a female character in Cool Air - the daughter of the man trying to keep himself alive through cryogenics - but I think she's an ancillary character.

    I imagine someone could write a book on Lovecraft's women. There are maybe four or five wives off stage and maybe five witches or crones across his several dozen tales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just listened to a great audio reading of Cool Air by a female reader so I thought I might have 'misremembered'.
    If you are not already aware, I'll point you to the podcast sight I found it on. I recommend the whole series.
    http://hppodcraft.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent find! Downloading as I type - thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great Lovecraftian podcast-
    http://cthulhupodcast.blogspot.com/

    A great show with readings from 1920's weird fiction, contemporary music and true adventure stories.

    ReplyDelete